We have made available various resources to promote event greening principles and practices within South Africa.
See the tabs for specific information on:
- Certification bodies and greenwashing,
- Resources that can be downloaded,
- Carbon calculator where you can buy trees to offset your emissions, and
- Glossary of terms for any terminology you don’t understand.
Top Tips for Greening:
- The procurement of goods and services is a critical aspect, so support products and services from local reputable suppliers that use sustainable practices.
- Reduce, Re-use, Recycle: consider where you can encourage waste reduction throughout the whole process.
- Ensure that your event has a social advantage, such as giving leftover food to local disadvantaged organisations.
- Consider incentives for the use of public transport, such as providing free public transport on the day of the event or encourage car sharing.
- Consider video conferencing or Skype meetings instead of meeting in person.
- Consider the environmental policy of the venue or accommodation when making your bookings – this will need to be specifically requested.
- Consider the distance between conference venue and accommodation to reduce the need for additional travel.
- Encourage the active participation of the delegates or visitors in the greening process through providing information on what they can do.
- Encourage a ‘green corner‘ at your event that showcases the greening practices and interventions implemented.
- Monitor, measure, report: ensure that a monitoring and evaluation process is in place to encourage benchmarking and identify lessons learnt.
These were the top ten tips that were identified at a Workshop for the Smart Events Handbook held in Cape Town on 19 January 2010.